Food medicine is the best kind of medicine. This delicious soup is a blend of immune boosting and antimicrobial herbs, spices and bone broth. Simple, nourishing goodness to help fight even the toughest of colds and flus.
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & diced
- 1/2 tsp of fresh or powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 450mL organic grass-fed non-GMO bone broth
- 1 small handful organic soba noodles
- Heat coconut oil n a large pot over medium heat (I use my Le Creuset)
- sauté onions for 1-2 minutes until they begin to appear translucent
- Add garlic, continue to sauté for another 1 minute, careful not to burn the garlic
- Stir in the fresh ginger and dried herbs, continue to cook over medium heat, about 2 minutes until spices are fragrant
- Add the mushrooms, rosemary, salt and pepper, stir continuously for another minute
- Add the broth, deglaze the bottom of your pan with your wooden spoon and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to simmer. You may continue to simmer over low heat for extra nutrient infusion (up to 1-2 hours) or if you're ready to eat, add in your soba noodles.
- Simmer noodles with a covered lid for 5 minutes, then turn heat off.
- Let sit for another 5 minutes, season with salt & pepper to taste, and enjoy!
You can play around with the flavours, try adding nutrient rich veggies like kale, chard, dulse, seaweed, and nettles, or potatoes, yams and sweet potato for extra energy and sweetness.
By Dr. Alaina